Friday, March 20, 2020

COVID-19 A Reader's Journey Monday 3.16.2020

3/26/2020

I'm going to transform my book blog into reflections as we move through this unique experience.  That is, unique to us.  Past generations have had similar experiences.  I remember a big yellow quarantine sign on our house as I was growing up.  I don't remember if it was for mumps or measles. as a toddler, my best friend contracted polio.  In neither case did I have the background or awareness to be really frightened.  However, I do know my mother and father were terrified.  Not to mention the Black Plague.

For the last month, I've known this was coming.  I've read way too many apocalyptic novels and nonfiction books and have a "theoretical" background in pandemics.  I'll keep recommending horrifying fiction and non-fiction as I blog about our shared experiences.  Today's recommendation:  Feed, by Myra Grant. It starts with zombies, but they are just a device to get into exploration of the intersection of media, politics, and government agencies. It is the first of a trilogy.  Since we're all isolation I suggest you just order all three at once.  I've used it in my college content literacy courses and generally had positive responses from students.

Agitation today.  Monday, and I find myself incapable of settling into anything.  I can't stick with cleaning, painting, reading or gardening.  Suddenly I realize that the problem is that all of my regular schedule has been blown up by COVID-19.  What got me agitated initially was finding out the YMCA had closed.  No water aerobics, no Pilates, no schedule for Lee Ann!  My Osher lectures and hikes had already been canceled. Although I'm retired and regularly proclaim that every day is a weekend, I suddenly had to confront the reality that I had indeed created a schedule of retirement.  I expect everyone does this to one extent to another.  When my children were young we had regular schedules, even in the year I did not work and just focused on finishing my dissertation.  Apparently, retirees craft a schedule.  One of the stressors in this pandemic is that we've all lost our schedules. Once I realized the source of the agitation I've been better able to settle into a new structure.

We are geniuses at this!  Already my regularly scheduled group meetings are setting up video or teleconferencing options. My friends and family are calling on the phone to talk!  (Texting is fine, but we're suddenly needing real contact.)  Of course, that blows up my newly created schedule.  But, I'm learning to adjust! My schedule:  make coffee, read the newspapers (finally),  write a bit, walk the dog, do my exercises, paint the craft room or garden, rest, play my video game.  (Those of you who don't know that I'm a gamer, I'm finding this part of my schedule most comforting!  I'm on Discord, a voice-over-internet service while playing most days.  My friend in Wisconsin and I chat as we play.  My guild creates weekly events that include some discussions as well.  I've never met these people in person, but they are an important part of my social network.  I also have face-to-face friends who have similar networks around on-line chess, Words with Friends, and other online games.) I end the day with some TV, PBS Newshour or something I've recorded.  This week I'm watching His Dark Materials an HBO series adapted from Phillip Pullman's YA novels.  I've read them all years ago and am really enjoying the adaptation.  Bonus!  Lin-Manuel Miranda is in the cast!

I wish you all well in adapting to your new schedules!  They will emerge.  Once I recognized the source of my agitation I was able to think clearly and set about creating structure for myself.  (And adjusting to friends disrupting it by calling me.  A welcome disruption these days!)

No comments: