Wednesday, December 11, 2019

The Traveling Reader--Carry a Book

December 2019--Taos, New Mexico

I travel alone frequently when my journey's goals would bore traveling companions.  I'm traveling to see two of my brothers and use up my timeshare points for the year.  Taos in mid-December seems to be pretty tourist-free.  I'm doing some shopping and headed for the ski area this afternoon.  But, this morning as I was searching for a breakfast spot I've made a discovery.  When you're traveling alone a great way to begin conversations is to carry and actual book.  Holding Holmes on the Range,  by Steve Hockensmith gave me opportunity to make two new connections during my wanderings.  Bob Kustra recently had an article in The Idaho Statesman that touched on the value of holding paper books (although the article was really about cybersecurity).  This posting isn't really about cybersecurity or the realities of digital publishing's effects on authors and booksellers, rather it adds to Kustra's musings about the value of paper books.

For several years now I've been reading from my smartphone while waiting for meals in restaurants, drinking coffee in various shops, and hanging out in public spaces.  Other times I am "plugged in" with ear-buds listening to an audiobook.  This time I was forced to carry an actual book because it was only available to me in print and I have the CDs to listen to the second book in the series in the car as I drive on to Albuquerque and Tucson.  All of a sudden I'm meeting new people, having fascinating conversations and getting ideas for new titles to read.

I had to explore to find my breakfast.  In off-season, the spot my sister-in-law had recommended was closed until Friday.  After lengthy poking around to find something interesting I settled down and had a very nice tamale and eggs.  As I got ready to leave a couple stopped me and asked what I was reading.  We talked for a while, he gave me his business card, and I picked up a couple of reading ideas.  Venturing on a window display of a cast-iron cornbread pan caught my eye.  The shop was one of the few open so I dropped in to buy one for a house gift and one for myself.  Over the transaction, the woman at the register asked about the book.  We had at least a half-hour conversation about a wide range of topics including our millennial children, the state of the arts in modern society, and rural living.  It also turns out that she is an aspiring author.  We have exchanged "calling" cards (if you're retired can you have a business card?), emails, and a couple reading ideas.

Many years ago while soaking at Pagosa Springs, CO I was reading from a World of Warcraft book.  Through the three pools of decreasing heat I soaked in I had three conversations about gaming, World of Warcraft literature, and YA books in general.

These conversations have not occurred when I travel with my smartphone.  People don't see the title or even know that you're reading instead of engaging with social media.  What a wonderful lesson to learn.  I didn't have my book in a satchel, briefcase, or backpack.  I carried it in my hand because I was "going light."  Lesson learned.  I'll travel with this in mind and paper copy of a book from now on.

No comments: