Sunday, July 29, 2012

XO, XO, by Jeffery Deaver

Jeffery Deaver is one of my favorite detective fiction authors.  His plots and characterizations are always interesting and rarely make me feel like I am reading just another version of the same book that he wrote the last time. In this book deeper has particularly called on his background and knowledge in the music industry. I knew from his biography that he had experience as a folk singer I did not know that he was a country music fan. I wish I had the patience to sit down and listen to all the music  referenced in this book. However, since I was listening to it through the audio book service it was just too tricky to match the reading with listening.

I find it really an interesting variation on the books that I am reading that many are including strong references to music. I just finished a Val McDermid book in which she makes frequent reference to musicians and songs. Michael Connelly also includes many references to music and in his book Dark Angel  and even included a CD with tracks from songs mentioned in the book or music he listened to while working. I love music but tend to listen more to classical, new age, or meditation selections. I don't know when I stopped listening to more popular music. Maybe as part of my sabbatical agenda I should include listening to more music with words and consciously expand my listening selections.

The main character of this series, Katheryn Dance, specializes in the analysis of body movements or "tells." As if an agent for the California Bureau of investigation she brings these skills to both investigations and courtroom settings. I can't evaluate the degree to which Deaver provides accurate information about the science, however I tend to trust him. He typically is quite methodical in his research.

Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs also make a brief cameo appearance in the book. I feel like an old friend stopped by for a moment and we were able to catch up  with some significant details about his life.

I recommend this book to everyone, not just those with musical inclinations for fans of detective fiction.

No comments: