Friday, December 23, 2011

Micro, by Michael Crichton and Richard Preston (2011)


Preston was chosen to finish this manuscript after Crichton died in 2008.  I'm a fan of both writers, so I was most satisfied with the collaboration.  I'm going to give this book to my daughter, a biology major.  One of the elements of the writings of both of these authors that I appreciate is their ability to take science/anthropology and use it to write compelling stories that help us understand the world(s) around us.


Earlier this year I heard a segment on NPR about micro-drones being developed for military espionage.  Micro was a bit ahead in fully elaborating the possibilities of micro machines.  To this concept Crichton adds the micro world of biology.  It's not the microscopic world that has been used in some science fiction--instead a sort of Honey I Shrunk the Kids, sort of world.  Set in Hawaii we are allowed to see the ecology of the island in detail. Crichton/Preston do a great job (from my non-biologist eyes) of portraying the forces of nature at play in the natural world.

This book will be a great way to engage those with scientific interests with fiction.  It's a good story and will also keep devoted fiction readers entertained.

No comments: