Friday, December 23, 2011

Mean Streets, by Jim Butcher, Simon Green, Kat Richardson & Thomas Sniegoski (2010)

I purchased this collection through my Audible service.  There are times when I think I don't get as much out of audio books as I do paper--but this was an exception (if the rule is real).  I thoroughly enjoyed each and every story. These collections are invaluable--they help me find new authors I will enjoy. 

Butcher's story, The Warrior, brings us back to Harry's friend and colleague Michael, Knight of the Cross, wielder of Amoracchius after his retirement due to injuries sustained in assisting Harry.  I've missed Michael since he was nearly killed.  I was glad to get this postscript. 

Richardson's story, The Third Death of the Little Clay Dog, pulls from traditions surrounding  Dia de Muertes.  I have particular fondness for this celebration and love the arts surrounding it, as well as the spiritual concept.  I was able to enjoy an exhibition of the works of José Guadalupe Posada that helped me fully understand the importance of this holiday in Mexico.  Richardson's story does a good job of being faithful to the intent of the spiritual tradition while weaving a compelling tale.  I'm putting in the order for Richardson's books at the library.  I think I've found a new author for my collection.

Simon Green tells a story in What A Difference A Day Makes, that got a little too "Matrix" for my tastes, but others will enjoy it.

Thomas Sniegoski's story, Noah's Orphans, was one that I didn't enjoy as much.  Perhaps if I had been raised in more of a Catholic tradition and understood the grand order of angels I would have followed the plot and character twists more clearly.

No comments: