Saturday, August 6, 2011

Dragon Soldier, by Timothy Zahn

This is the second in the Dragonback adventure series. It looks as if there are six books in the series. I was captivated by the first, less so with this. But, I'm certain that it's the context of this one that threw me off. In this second book Jack Morgan attempts to help his symbiont dragon, Draycos, prevent the destruction of his species. To do so he enlists and a mercenary soldier (child soldier) to gather intelligence about the possible strategic knowledge on identity of the "bad guys." There is some "shoot-em-up" which will probably appeal to boys more than it does to me. There is a strong female character.

The series gets good reviews and appears to be relatively popular. I enjoyed the first book a lot, but am not inspired to pick up the next one unless someone tells me that there is a switch in the plot line. The reviewers on the Barnes & noble site seem to agree with me.

It's recommended for ages 12 and older, but I think I might stay with younger adolescents.

No comments: