Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dance for the Dead, by Thomas Perry

I tripped across Thomas Perry as I was searching to find a free audio book to download to my new Droid phone. His novel The Face-Changers had a "teaser" available, but I've been unable to download the complete book as an audio file. What I did hear was enough to get me started on his collected works.

I've read the first two books in his "Jane Whitefield" series. there are six books in the series. What I've read so far makes me want to continue to read the others. Yes, they are "suspense" novels--but not quite detective fiction, since Jane is not a detective. I hope I am learning something authentic about Seneca Indians. Since Perry was born in Tonawanda, New York--the center of the remains of the tribe--I am hopeful that the work include some truth. Since Perry has a Ph.D. in English Literature I trust that he has done the appropriate homework. The dreams and visions of the ancestors are intriguing enough that I want to continue reading more.

Whitefield is a person who "disappears" people in trouble. She does this outside of the legal system and without much support from others. In all the work there is a relatively strong sense of ethics.

So, in spite of all the "good for you" aspects of the novels, they are also thrillers that make your heart race. They aren't really good bedtime reading--bedtime will be pushed into the wee hours of the morning.

Definitely adult books--I would not recommend them to high school readers. But, I would let some of the most mature know that I am reading them. While adult, the sex and violence are restrained, fit well within the story line (not gratuitous) and are balanced well by the rest of the book.

No comments: