Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Lightening Thief, by Rick Riordan

It appears that I am on a mythology kick. True! One of the interns I worked with last spring taught a unit on mythology associated with reading of The Odyssey. This book is probably appropriate for younger or less able readers than Michael Scott's Nicholas Flamel series. It is well written and more narrowly focused on Greek gods than Scott's work is. Overall I give it strong ratings. It would make an excellent companion piece to a class exploration of The Odyssey especially for students will reading difficulties. Many of the same quest episodes are paralleled in this book and would allow for discussion of Odysseus's (Ulysses) quests and their meanings.

I will be reading other books in the series. They have been very popular and I am eager to follow up on Riordan's treatment of the epic.

No comments: