Thursday, July 9, 2009

Inkspell and Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

Funke's recognition as a fantasy writer is well deserved. I have greatly enjoyed the entire Inkheart trilogy. The series' exploration of the power and possibilities of the printed word especially speak to me as a reader and writer. At the present moment I am having to devote more time in my professional life to writing and publishing. Funke's side-story of the pleasures and frustrations of the author's craft speaks loudly to me. Her mirror worlds of fantasy will appeal to a wide range of readers and will secure her spot in children's and young adult literature.

All three books present a challenge to younger readers in their length alone. Yet, readers willing to take on the Harry Potter saga will be able to handle this series. I believe that the books are complex enough to engage a wide range of ages and readers. It encouraged me that the first book has already been accepted by the commercial film industry. It was the feature film on a flight I took to Ecuador this summer. I didn't really follow the film, but plan to view it at home soon.

No comments: