Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Bride of Casa Dracula by Marta Acosta

I was hesitant to pick up this book after I discovered that the library classifies it a "romance." I don't really see myself as a romance reader. But, I'd read and enjoyed the first in the series and so I borrowed the 2nd from the library and bought this, the third. I don't regret it. Someone may think these are "romance" books but I think they are humor and modern gothic pieces.

Marta Acosta is a funny and engaging writer. She has a great sense of word play and keeps me laughing not only at language tricks but also at the foibles of her characters. I wouldn't go so far as to say they have great depth, but they are complex. Acosta also gives Latinas a strong voice and reality that I haven't run across in other fiction. I just wish that there was a little less sex in the book so that I could recommend it without hesitation to middle and high school girls.

I was a little disappointed in the "discussion guide for book clubs" at the end of the book. The questions seemed sort of silly. I'm glad I continued reading, the "conversation with Marta Acosta" is worth reading through the book club section.

1 comment:

Marta said...

Hi, Lee,

My, the things one reads when one has Google Alerts for one's book titles!

Thanks for reading and reviewing my books. Although your library may classify them as romances, they are actually comedies and are usually shelved in general fiction.

I don't know why I had the idea to spoof the conventions of vampire stories, but it has caused all kinds of confusion in readers who expect the books to be, say, paranormal romance or urban fantasy or romance.

There are a few messages beneath the frivolity, and, as a satirist, I prefer to make my points with humor. As the saying goes, dying is easy; comedy is hard.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my books!