Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sword of Truth Series, by Terry Goodkind

Once again, I'm in over my head.  I picked up the first book in this series The Wizard's First Rule, as a special offer in my Audible subscription.  I'm now through the second book, Stone of Tears, and beginning the third, Blood of the Fold.  All are the story of Richard Rahl and Kahlan Amnell as they pursue adventures through political intrigues, magic, wizardry, and evil plots generally devised by demented wizards or witches (Sisters of the Light or Sisters of the Dark usually).  I am primarily listening to the series through audio book versions.  They are good companions on my walks and while I garden.

I was a bit dismayed to find out that reviewers see Goodkind as a follower of Ayn Rand and a believer in Objectivism.  (I have to go back and reread Anthem, by Rand.   I read it in the 70's. It now appears to be a seminal work in the thinking of conservative Christian politicians.)  Since I learned of the connection I listen to the books with a close eye on the philosophical premises underlying with Wizard's Rules (each book explores one of the rules).  I'm on the third rule now--Passions Rule, For Better or Worse.  Since I am studying Buddhism and the works of Thich Nhat Hanh I am experiencing some cognitive dissonance.  I expect Nhat Hanh would guide me to watering more peaceful/serene seeds in my store rather than filling my mind and ears with this violence. 

I enjoy the action and adventure.  However, these books are definitely fantasy.  There is a great deal of sadomasochistic sex in the first book and other detailed sexual or violent content throughout the series.  I would not suggest it for those with conservative sexual values or those disturbed by physical violence. 

No comments: