Friday, June 10, 2011

Gamer Girl, by Mari Mancusi

This 2008 book was recognized by YALSA as a "quick pick for reluctant readers." I expect that this is a good designation. The book is recommended for grades 6-10 although I expect 9 & 10 are a bit of a stretch. The plot is pretty predictable, although I am drawn to the main character. She has more gray areas than you would expect with a predictable, quick read, designed to appeal to gamers, Manga fans, and Goths. I will be recommending it to many 6th-8th graders who are drawn to these topics. It's an easy read, but deals sensitively with a variety of issues that many pre-teens and teens have to face: moving schools, divorce, bullies, cliques, Manga, isolation, and video games.

I also think I will be picking up one of Mancusi's vampire books to see if they are well written and appealing. I've been using my Nook to read new releases an hour a day at Barnes and Noble. I often sit in chairs that face the new YA and SciFi sections. Vampire fiction completely dominates the shelves. Right now I'm reading the new Sookie Stackhouse vampire book (the series upon which True Blood is based). For almost a year now I've been complaining about how much vampire fiction I'm having to read. It looks like I'm going to have to get used to it. Hopefully Mancusi will add an interesting twist--maybe a gamer vampire!

No comments: