Tuesday, April 22, 2008

God Emperor of Dune, Frank Herbert

This is the "paper" reading I'm doing this week. I've read the other Dune books and somehow missed this one. It's not new--1981 . You really would need to have read the others. Dune has a fanatic following. Many consider it philosophy instead of just fiction. I am interested in the philosophy part, but sometimes think either Herbert was much smarter than me, or he is a bubble-off-plumb. I really get confused when Lord Leto is talking with the Bene Gesserit witches/reverend mothers. Maybe I need a Sparks Notes for the "code" on this one. I keep thinking I'll give up on this book. I have 3 historical fiction books in the wings. But for some reason I keep picking this one up instead. I guess that says something for it.

No comments: